There’s nothing wrong with wanting a new couch or table. We all need furniture in our homes, and it’s great to have something new that you can enjoy. However, many of us are also looking for pieces that won’t harm our planet. Fortunately, there are plenty of sustainable furniture options out there! In this article, we’ll go over six types of sustainable furniture that don’t require killing animals or destroying forests: reclaimed wood tables and chairs; cement furniture; upcycled metal furniture; recycled leather seating; metal mesh seating.
What is sustainable furniture?
Sustainable furniture is any piece you can buy, or even make yourself, that’s made from sustainable materials. This includes:
- Furniture made from recycled materials.
- Furniture that is made from materials that can be recycled.
- Furniture that is made from materials that are sourced locally–and therefore don’t need to travel all over the world before they’re sold to you!
Another important thing to remember when looking at these pieces is how they were assembled and how much energy was used during production (and after). Sustainable furniture should not only be constructed responsibly but should also use renewable energy wherever possible in order for it to be truly sustainable.
Reclaimed wood tables and chairs
Reclaimed wood is a sustainable material that’s been repurposed from old buildings, barns and ships.
It’s beautiful, durable and sustainable. It comes in many different styles and colors so you can find the perfect look for your home or office space! Reclaimed wood is also an excellent option for furniture manufacturers because it doesn’t require any new lumber; instead they’re using upcycled materials that would otherwise be thrown away at the end of their lifecycle (which happens pretty quickly).
Cement furniture is made from cement, sand and water. It’s durable, easy to clean (you can use soap and water) and comes in any style or color you want! Concrete furniture is affordable compared to other sustainable options like bamboo or reclaimed wood.
Concrete is also eco-friendly because it uses recycled materials–in fact, most of the concrete used in construction today comes from old buildings being torn down or demolished.
Upcycled metal furniture
Upcycled metal furniture is a great way to reduce waste and reuse materials that would otherwise be thrown away. The great thing about upcycled metal furniture is that it can be reused again and again, which means you’re contributing less to the pile of trash in our landfills.
If you’re looking for examples of recycled metal furniture, check out these beautiful pieces:
- Pendant light made from old horseshoes ($195)
- Reclaimed wood bar stool ($295)
- Vintage industrial lamp ($165)
Recycled leather seating
Recycled leather seating is a great choice for consumers who want to make a sustainable investment in their home, but don’t want to sacrifice style or comfort.
- It’s a byproduct of the meat industry. Leather is often considered an eco-friendly material because it’s made from leftover animal skins that might otherwise be discarded and wasted. However, most leather furniture can be expensive–and because it requires extensive care and maintenance (see below), it may not be practical for those looking for something affordable.
- Leather can be difficult to clean and maintain properly: Unlike fabric upholstery fabrics like cotton or wool which are washable with soap and water without needing special cleaning products or equipment such as an upholstery vacuum cleaner, leather must often be dry cleaned at high temperatures using harsh chemicals like acetone which can cause damage if spilled onto other surfaces in your home including wood floors or carpeting! In addition there are many different types of natural tannins used in tanning processes so each piece will require its own unique cleaning solution tailored specifically toward its needs before being able to go back out into circulation again safely without risking further damage occurring during transit time between locations within cities like New York City where people live very densely packed together side by side making access difficult at best.”
Metal mesh seating
Metal mesh is a good, durable material that can be used to create a modern look. It’s an excellent choice for outdoor furniture, indoor furniture and even kids’ furniture.
Metal mesh is made from metal wire woven together in a pattern of squares or diamonds. The weave allows air to pass through it while still providing support for your body weight–which makes it ideal for chairs both inside or out!
With these products, you can be sure that you’re getting sustainable furniture that doesn’t hurt animals or the environment.
If you’re concerned about the environment, animals and human rights, sustainable furniture is an excellent option. It’s important to buy furniture that isn’t made with blood, sweat and tears–and it’s much easier than you think!
With these products in mind, there are several things to consider:
- The materials used in the creation of a piece of furniture are key when determining whether or not it’s sustainable. For example, if your couch is made out of leather that came from an animal who was slaughtered for its hide (and then had its skin removed), this would be considered unsustainable because it involves unnecessary killing and suffering on behalf of both parties involved in this process (the cow). If instead you chose a fabric-based material like cotton or hemp which can be grown organically without harming any living beings at all then congratulations! Your new sofa may have been grown organically but also happened upon another benefit–it will last longer than one made out of leather because those kinds tend break down over time due to wear & tear caused by everyday use such as sitting down too hard during activities like watching TV shows together as friends & family members do regularly together during evenings spent together having fun times together with friends/family members
Hopefully, we’ve helped you find some great sustainable furniture options for your home. We know how hard it is to shop responsibly, but with these products on the market today and more coming soon, it’s easier than ever before!