Whether it’s a matter of personal style or just the way you like to live, everyone has a different approach to decorating their home. I often find myself getting inspired by other people’s styles and then trying to adopt them into my own home. But sometimes I want something more than just a few new pieces of furniture—I want my entire place to feel like me! That’s why I decided it was time to learn how to style my home in such a way that reflects who I am as an individual (and not just what is trendy).
Find your style
Finding your style is about more than just the way you decorate. It’s about how you live, and the things that are important to you.
Your style should reflect who you are as a person–it should be comfortable and functional, while also being cohesive with everything else in your home. In order to find this balance between comfort and cohesiveness, start by looking at what already exists in your home:
- What types of furniture do I already have? Are there any patterns or colors that I keep coming back to?
- Which rooms feel most like “me” when I walk into them (and which ones don’t)?
- When friends visit my house for the first time, what do they comment on first?
Create a color palette
Color is an important element of home decor. It can help you create a mood and set the tone for your space, but it’s not always easy to know where to start. The first step is deciding on a color palette–a group of related hues that work well together. Your palette will depend on the style you’re going for, so if you want something classic and elegant, use calming neutrals like gray or beige; if your style is more modern, try bolder jewel tones like magenta or emerald green (or both!).
Once you’ve chosen your colors, it’s time to start thinking about how best to incorporate them into each room in your house:
- Living Room – This space should be welcoming and inviting–think about whether there are any areas where this could use some improvement before choosing any paint colors for this area.* Dining Room – When dining at home alone or with family members who aren’t close friends (or even acquaintances), most people prefer not having their meals interrupted by constant chatter from other tablemates! So make sure there aren’t too many distractions around when eating at home by keeping TVs off when possible…
Decide on the look and feel
Decide on the look and feel
The first thing to do is decide which style of home you want. Do you want something modern and sleek? Or do you prefer a more traditional look? You might even want a modernized version of traditional design! You should also consider whether or not this style fits with your lifestyle and personality, as well as how much money is available for decorating purposes.
Consider your lifestyle
When you’re thinking about how to style your home, it’s important to consider the lifestyle of the people who will be using it. Do they spend most of their time in one room? What activities will take place there? Will this room be used for entertaining guests or relaxing alone?
Use different materials and textures to add interest to your room
- Use different materials to create interest in a room.
- Use different textures to create interest in a room.
- Use different colors to create interest in a room.
- Use different patterns to create interest in a room
Find what style you are and make sure your home reflects that.
Whether you’re buying a new home or moving into a rental, it’s important to know what style of decorating works best for you. If you can’t decide on the right look, try creating mood boards and pinning images of furniture pieces and accessories that appeal to you.
The most important thing is to be honest with yourself about what kind of style makes sense for your personality and lifestyle. Do not choose something just because it’s trendy–that will only result in regret later! Furthermore, try not to rush into anything; rather than picking one specific style right away (such as midcentury modern), explore all the different ways there are for decorating homes before narrowing down which one suits your needs best
Home decor is a personal thing and you should make sure your home reflects who you are. Nobody wants to live in an apartment that looks like it belongs to someone else! So if you don’t feel like your place has a style, don’t panic. There are plenty of ways for even beginners like myself to make their homes look more interesting than just plain walls and furniture.